Tuesday, July 3, 2007

On to Lima



The picture is taken very near our Guesthouse in Lima


I left Trujillo after two nights and got on a 9 hour, all day bus to Lima. It was just about my limit for length of time tolerable on a bus. But I was discovering something new in Peru that I didn't find in Ecuador or anywhere in Central America. Almost all the long distance buses were nice and had schedules. They had air conditioning, and bathrooms and movies and stuck to a schedule with more or less only official stops. I was amazed, and it made bus travel a little more bearable. This particular one went pretty well until the last hour or so getting into Lima. We sat in a massive traffic jam and barely moved for a while, due to a soccer game just finishing. Of course it was at dusk, and I was anxious to get settled in my place before it got dark.


When I got off the bus, I got in a cab and headed straight to Barranco, the suburb I was to stay in. I had an address of the place, but the cabbie didn't know exactly where it was. When we got to the area he stopped at the police station and asked, fortunately they knew. Eva and I were staying in a guesthouse called Safe in Lima that is run by a Belgian man and his Peruvian wife. It was a little on the expensive side (for Peru that means about 34 USD for a double room) but was very nice and seemed like an easy place for Eva and I to meet. It is a good place to stay to ease into Peru/Lima and the suburb of Barranco is quite nice. Check it out if you're heading to Lima.




Nothing exciting really to report from this stay in Lima, as mostly I was just waiting for Eva to arrive. Her plane was not due until 1o pm or so on my second night there, so I had a whole day to kill. I did walk from Barranco to another suburb called Miraflores and then back to Barranco along the beach. In Miraflores I indulged a little in Burger King and did a little bit of minor shopping. Around 11:30 pm, I was still waiting for Eva to arrive. I did not go to the airport, because the guy from the guesthouse that does airport pick-ups lives close to it, and not central Lima. So he would have had to go way out of his way to get me first. I was getting a little anxious, but finally she arrived "safe in Lima." At that point it had been just over a month since we had been together, and it was good to see her.

No comments: