Thursday, July 5, 2007

The 4th of July






The photos are:
1. The Chinese Flag to Celebrate the 4th
2. Don't show George Bush
3. Me, a Belgian and 8 Dutch people
4. Cherie (the other American), Eva and me.

I have never driven to another country to celebrate the independence day of my own. I have celebrated it another (England ironically) but yesterday I actually got in the car and drove an hour and a half to a party in The Netherlands. My friend Cherie is in Europe currently and while staying at a friends place in Goes, in southern Netherlands, she spearheaded a party for the 4th.

For a few more photos of the event go to her website:

www.wherescherie.com



Well it being the closest party I new of, I had to drive up there for it.





It was really good food, with many of the 4th of July staples. We had corn on the cob, apple pie, burgers and LOTS of chips. Eva and I unfortunately arrived a little too late for the hot dog course. Actually, maybe unpatrioticly I have to admit that the apple pie was the best I have ever tasted. Normally I am not a fruit pie fan, thinking rather that it should have chocolate, but this Dutch recipe was great.

I did try to bring Budweiser to the party. It was a little funny actually, living in Belgium (possibly the best beer country in the world) and me searching for Bud of all things. I went in about 5 shops, and none had it. One guy even told me he had just sold out of it. I think it is in low demand and any store that carries it stocks about 3 6-packs, apparently not enough to with stand the 4th of July rush. It's just as well that we don't try to inflict that beer on the world. Is not liking Bud also unpatriotic?

Speaking of un-patriotic, I also put my feet all over the American Flag. On the phone earlier in the day Cherie asked me if I had a flag. I told her that the only one in our apartment was the doormat. I don't think they sell these in the US. Eva bought it innocently enough because she has an American boyfriend, not realizing the significance of stepping all over the flag. But, to be clear, IT WAS A DOOR MAT, NOT A REAL FLAG!

We did have a real flag flying high over the party though. A Chinese flag of all things. In the house where the party was, there was a cute 3 year old adopted Chinese girl named Noa. Noa had just had her 3rd birthday and the flag was still up from that. I However thought it was a perfect edition to our un-traditional (but wonderful) celebration.

No comments: