Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Ferris wheel in front of Oostende's Cathedral


How did I end up here and where is here? I'm in Oostende, halfway up the small coast of Belgium. I am living here now, or at least hoping to if I can find some sort of gainful employment. Its not an easy thing to do in an EU country as an American. Especially a country that has more than one official language that I don't speak. Well I'm trying and at this point I may be able to say "Ik spreek klien beetje nederlands" but I probably will slaughter the pronunciation. I may have spelled it wrong, but I don't spell so well in English either, so no worries. For those of you who aren't sure those words are in Dutch or Flemish, which is more or less the same language. If you speak it in the Netherlands it is called Dutch and if you speak it in Belgium it is called Flemish. It is similar to the difference between British English and American English. For those up for the world languages lesson, there will now be a pop quiz. Without using Google, what are the other two official languages of Belgium? Anyway, how I wound up here is a story that I am not sure has an exact start. I suppose the simple answer is Mexico, December 2005. So for now, I will start here, and work my way back to there. It will be in many instalments, because I have done a lot in that time, so feel free to skip around as needed.

No comments: