Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Carnival






1. Colorful participants
2. Ahh the beer
3. Ahh the food
4. The Klan, trying someting new?
5. Lots of Munchkin types in the parade.
You’ve heard of it right? Aalst is what you think of when you think Carnival right? Sure Rio, New Orleans and Venice may be more well known for Carnival, but in Belgium when they think Carnival, they think Aalst. Well I’m not about to give anything up for lent, but when I hear there is a festival only an hour down the road, I want to go. So last Sunday Eva and I got in the car to check out the festivities in Aalst.

I come from Southern California and until now I thought that it (home to Hollywood) was the fake breast capital of the world. Apparently though, it is Aalst. Not the same kind though, but fake breasts none the less. People in the parade as well as revelers in the street came in costume. It seemed as if the most popular costume accessory this year (maybe every year) was fake boobs. Not the silicon variety but the plastic novelty sort that you find in a sex shop or a joke gift shop. Not just the random street partiers were wearing them either, they were part of many costumes that were in the parade. It just makes me think about some Chinese factory somewhere, and that’s all the workers do all day is produce plastic fake boobs. What must they think of western society?

Eva and I had a good time, doing a little bar hoping, eating, watching the parade, eating, looking at the crazies in the street and eating. Did I mention eating? We started with some Oliebollen, little bits of fried dough with powdered sugar, mmm good. Then I had a Bratwurst because someone else was and I couldn’t not have one. Then of course the Belgium staple, some fries. We followed the fries up with more Oliebollen and then to finish things off, well why not some more fries. It was a good day, but needless to say I skipped dinner that night.

I was going to go out that night around midnight, and try to find a TV that was showing the Super Bowl, but didn’t feel up to it when the time came around. To bad, I saw it turned out to be a pretty good game for once.

No comments: