Thursday, January 31, 2008

Tournai or Doornik






1. On the Main Square of Tournai
2. Look, a representation admiting that Jesus was black
3. The 5 towers of Tournai's Cathedral
4. Me and the Five towers
5. Absinthe
Last weekend, Eva and I got in the car for a roadtrip in Belgium. Well, road trip in Belgium, means that you can get a third of the way across the country in not much over an hour, so we went to Tournai, or Doornik, depending on your point of view. Because Belgium has three official languages, many cities have more than one name. Tournai is the French name and Doornik is the Dutch name. I haven't really spent much time in the French region, Walloon, so I wanted to go there. Tournai is the closest city of any interest (In Walloon) to us in Oostende, so that's where we went.
I liked the city, but after all the sun was out and I had a waffle, two things that usually make me enjoy a place. But it has a cool central square, with a few old churchs (suprise to find in Europe), a 72 meter high Belfort (tower) and is known for its main Cathedral that has five towers and is one of the most important architechural monuments in Belgium.
We were not the first ones ever to "invade" the city, through out history it seems like just about everyone has occupied Tournai at one time or another. We climbed the Beflort, all 250 steps or so and then walked to the Cathedral, that was having some restoration work done. After we went for a drink and I ordered cider off the French Menu. I expected something in a manly style pint glass, but instead realized I had more or less ordered champaign. Oh well. Then we got a take away waffle an got back in the car to head home.
The Next day we went to Eva's Aunt and Uncle's house for a quick drink to say hello and hear about their recent trip to Argentina. I already knew this would be the case (Eva thought not for some reason) but we were invited to stay for the lunch that Eva's grandmother and parents were already invited to. We had a wondeful meal that in true European fashion lasted all day long, and then watched a slide show of the Argentina photos. Add that to the list of places I want to go. In their bar, I discovered a bottle of Absinthe, but didn't have any. I did once years ago, and may have to try it again at some point. Speakng of trying things, stay tuned for me eating horse meat. In many places (Belgium included) that is not so out of the ordinary, but as an American, I may have to have a few cocktails first.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's pretty good, raw ;)