Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Amsterdam






1. Cynthia and I
2. My favorite "restaurant" where you get deep fried food from a wall.
3. Eva and a canal.
4. What is Eva doing!!!!??
5. What am I doing????!!!
--------------------------------------------------------
This has been added latter to clarify for my mother what "fried food from a wall" is
Febo is like a vending machine I suppose, but on a grander scale. The "cooks" place the fried goodies of this and that in the little slot. There it sits until you put money in and open the little door of said goodies, for your eating pleaseure, although some do not see it as a pleasure. Some locals think that drunk and stoned and homeless Amsterdamers (usually actually foriegners) pee in the little slots. So go for the upper levels and enjoy the fried.
----------------------------------------------------------
Eva and I went up to Amsterdam for the weekend. I have two friends that live there. Chris I know from high school and he has lived there for around 7 years I think. Last year he got married to Melanie who is from the Netherlands, and Eva and I attended the wedding in Baarlo. Also there is Cynthia, who I know from college. She has been living there for 10 years, and speaks Dutch really well now.

I took the train up on Friday, and stayed the night at Chris and Melanie's. Eva drove up on Saturday and we both spent the night at Cynthia's. That night we went out for dinner and drinks in town. There is not so much to report about the trip, just that it was really nice to see old friends. It is great to have the "in the nieghborhood" and be able to pop up to Amsterdam for the weekend. That's one of the great things about living in Europe. Eva and I drove home on Sunday, after looking around the red light district a bit. It is always a good place to people watch and "window shop." I am a little embarassed to admit that we ate at McDonalds on the way home.

No comments: